– What did you learn from Paolo Sorrentino during the shootings at "Youth"?
– I like to describe that experience as an orchestra directed by Sorrentino. He was a perfect conductor who managed to balance the relationships between the actors. In the Cannes press conference, Harvey Keitel said that we, all the actors in the film, no matter the role, are friends. That we were friends before the movie.
Paolo Sorrentino managed to steer these extraordinary actors perfectly and everyone followed him. Also in that conference, Michael Caine said he did not want to read the script and that when he was asked to make a film with Sorrentino, he said "Yes" without reading the script.
– Where do you have an agent?
– I have an agent in Italy, Valentina Conti. I've changed several agents, because I had a choice between making a commercial project or doing a niche movie.
I have not won anything with the movie "Youth". But I had agents who preferred to make commercial movies. I believe that, in the acting of actor, "not"are more important than "Yes"CPCs.
It's hard to say "no" to money. And I had to impose myself on some important agents and tell them: "I want to make a niche movie. I do not want to make a serial, even if I pay well".
Because I knew I would not be taken in a niche if I do not know how many serials in Italy. And when I met Sorrentino, he told me – "Please for six months to disappear, to see you no more, to go anywhere, to stay home and learn". And that's what I did.
– So you chose agents on this criterion – who recommend you play in real movies …
– We've changed more agents before we got to one who believes in me. It's very hard to find an agent to believe in you. I recently signed up with a state manager. I'm working with the American press office that Jane Fonda recommended, with her stylist …
– Did Jane Fonda take you under the wing?
– They all took me under the wing. For example, I was at the Toronto film festival and in an interview for Variety, you can find on youtube, Harvey Keitel and Michael Caine talked about me so beautiful … They introduced me and their agents, the people they work with …
– To the movie "Zoolander 2" have you come through the agent in America?
– No, I've been through my Rome agent. Because it was filmed in Rome and castingthe role for my role was also done in Rome. to Smitten! I also got through my agent in Italy, and the evidence I gave them in the States.
– Where are you in Milan?
– Not. I do not have a house anymore.
– A place where you still leave your toothbrush …
– Where's the luggage. And I change my luggage home to my mother in Romania.
(Question from the public): What can you tell us about the social project in Haiti?
– Foundation Artists for Peace and Justice (APJ) has 2500 students at the Haitian cinema institute. The first time I was there I was told not to make a donation, I was not asked to give money. There were these events that APJ organized at Cannes or the Toronto film festival, for example.
When I first went, I did not know how to help. I understand in time. I realized that in a room with 15 children there are two nurses who can not take care of all of them. Who takes their arms, who speaks to them? Most do not go, do not talk, but need affection.
And that's what they gave me, just one hundred percent. Which the world does not give you, everyone is on the phone and I give it like and looks at the next photo …
I received hundreds of attention and affection from these children, which they need in turn. And that's what I do in Haiti: I go to hospitals and take care of the children.
I even tried to adopt a little girl. She has some health problems, and she was not even in the adoption system when I started this move. But it is a very difficult, very complicated process that consumes you enormously from a psychic point of view.
So, that's what they do in Haiti, and not just there. I chose to talk about the project in Haiti because I like to promote it, because everything I do is go to hundreds of percent in these programs.
Last year, at the Toronto film festival, I donated a sum and asked APJ to use that money to come to Romania to see some of the centers I had visited and, if possible , to do something for Romania as well.
Maybe this will happen. I'm not saying what it's all about because I want it first to work out.
– I've noticed that you choose your words very carefully. With what restrictions does the fame come from?
(smile) – There were restrictions at first, but I do not wear a mask. At first, it seemed to me that it was good, to pose in the perfect man. But there is no such thing. That's why I loved Miss Universe …
– The world we look at – sadly – fascinated is a world dominated by masks?
– How do you stay yourself?
– Visiting these centers with these children who do not have masks. There you realize the real problems. Those kids have trouble, and they still smile, happy to see you. Once you go there, you appreciate each hug with your parents, every touch, every kiss.
That's what the film teaches you, too "Youth". Time is the protagonist of this film. How long do we have? How do we spend it? Did we hug our parents? Did I tell them we love them?